Here’s a list I’ve been compiling of stories/films retold in new settings or genres or told from a new perspective. A work in progress, so please send me ideas for improvements: email@example.com or @ianabyrd.
- The Lion King puts Hamlet into the African Savannah.
- Forbidden Planet is a science-fiction retelling of The Tempest.
- 10 Things I Hate About You changes The Taming of the Shrew into a high school drama.
- West Side Story is a musical version of Romeo and Juliet set in New York.
- Ran is a retelling of King Lear set in Japan.
- The Magnificent Seven changes The Seven Samurai into a western.
- A Bug’s Life retells The Seven Samurai using insects.
- Star Wars borrows elements of The Hidden Fortress
- Wicked tells The Wizard of Oz from the Wicked Witch’s perspective.
- The True Story of the Three Little Pigs retells The Three Little Pigs from the wolf’s perspective.
- Ender’s Shadow retells the events of Ender’s Game from a minor character’s perspective.
Get articles like this in your inbox.
I'll send you one or two emails a month with links to new articles, greatest hits, and information about what I'm up to! Join the mailing list!
New Time Periods & Genres
- Clueless is a modern retelling of Emma
- The Hunger Games is inspired by The Myth of the Minotaur.
- Apocalypse Now places Heart of Darkness into the Vietnam war.
- Avatar retells the Pocahontas/John Smith story, via @MrLaymanSS on Twitter.
- I Love Lucy’s chocolate scene remixes Charlie Chaplin in Modern Times
Holmes In New Settings
- House, M.D. is a medical version of Sherlock Holmes.
- Sherlock and Elementary are modern retellings of Sherlock Holmes.
- This mirror scene is referenced in countless movies and TV shows