After doing a couple rounds of recommended books featuring gifted female protagonists, I got an email requesting books featuring fellas. Here are some of my go-to books. Please send me yours and I’ll add them to this list:
- Mysterious Benedict Society – two guys, two girls, all fantastically different from each other. Also highlights gifted adults.
- Ender’s Game – Ender is an empathetic, highly intelligent boy, but that doesn’t make life easy.
- A Wrinkle in Time – not the protagonist, but Charles Wallace is (I’d wager) a profoundly gifted boy.
- The View From Saturday – a cast of gifted characters competing in an academic tournament
- I’d say Bridge to Terebithia and The Giver both deal with characters who have traits of giftedness beyond “being smart.”
- Calvin and Hobbes – Calvin’s my exemplar for a gifted kid who would probably go unidentified because he isn’t “good at school”.