Earlier I wrote about using emoji for your Depth and Complexity icons because they’re so much easier to work with than images, they’re automatically available everywhere, and they work in any app.
Here are my thoughts about which emoji I’m going to use. I’ve broken them into three categories:
1. Obvious replacements for existing icons.
These seem obvious to me. They look a lot like the official icon.
- Big Idea: 🏠
- Details: 🌻
- Language of the Discipline: 👄
- Trends: 📈 (Yes. Trends).
- Unanswered Questions: ❓
- Multiple Perspectives: 👓
- Change Over Time: ⏳
2. No obvious replacement, but I like them (better!).
There aren’t emoji that obviously replace the Ethics and Rules icons. No black and white diamond. No… um… whatever the rules icon is supposed to be 😝. BUT! I think the justice scales and traffic light emoji work even better than the official icons. They’re easy to draw and connect pretty clearly to the meaning of their Depth and Complexity prompts.
- Ethics: ⚖️
- Rules: 🚦
3. Not so sure.
And here’s the last group. I think these work, but I’m not 100% thrilled with them.
- Patterns: 🌀 A spiral is definitely a pattern. But is this the best emoji to represent patterns?
- Across Disciplines: 📚 I like the stack of books to represent multiple disciplines, but it’s less obvious when kids draw it. Might look like just three rectangles. But maybe that’s ok?
Ideas? Have any better choices for those last two?
Differentiation information in your inbox.
I'll send you one or two emails a month to help you better understand and differentiate for gifted students.Get free resources now!