The Across Disciplines prompt asks students to think about how this topic intersects with other fields as well as with other topics within the same field.
Your unit on Weather has natural connections to social studies, language arts, and math. Across Disciplines reminds us to think broadly and note these connections:
- weather has an enormous impact on civilizations
- poets have tried to describe the weather for centuries
- predicting the weather is an enormous mathematical problem
But note that there are also dozens of connections within science. You can also connect weather to:
- fuel sources (wind power? solar power?)
- biomes and ecosystems
- plant and animal adaptations
- electromagnetic spectrum
So, yes, it’s called Across Disciplines, but it’s also Within Disciplines.