Ghost is a word-building game for two players. All you need is paper and pencil (and probably a dictionary!).
- We pick a small word/fragment to start with.
- Let’s use CAR
- This fragment needs to be the beginning of at least one word, so don’t pick PLT or XGA!
- At each turn, the player adds one letter to the end of the fragment.
- The fragment must still be the beginning of a real word. BUT you don’t want to form a full word.
- CAR to CARA works since there are words like “caramel” and “carapace” but “cara” isn’t actually a word.
- CAR to CARZ doesn’t work since there are no English words that begin with “carz”.
- The first player to finish a real word loses.
- If I add a P to form CARP I lose, since “carp” is a real word.
When a player loses a round, they earn the next letter from the word GHOST (just like the basketball game HORSE). The first person to complete GHOST loses!
Get One Game A Week!
I'll send you instructions for one paper-and-pencil strategy game every week to use in your classroom (or with your own family)! Get A Game Each Week!