The prompts of depth and complexity become even more powerful when combined. Here are several examples of iconic statements: sentences formed using two tools of depth and complexity:
- Details form patterns
- Different points of view see ethical issues differently
- When patterns change, they become trends
- Trends lead to new rules
- Rules solve and create ethical problems
- A change leads to new perspectives.
- Rules depend on the point of view.
- Big ideas are built from details
- A big idea can change over time
- New rules create new patterns
- Different people will view a pattern differently
- Ethical issues lead to new rules.
- Rules lead to new ethical issues.
- Changes leads to ethical issues.
- Combining disciplines leads to changes.
How might you use these? After finishing a unit, try asking students to prove or refute them.
- In Abraham Lincoln’s life, is it true or false that “New rules create new patterns?”
- In Ancient Greeze, show that “Ethical issues lead to new rules.”
- In Hatchet, is it true that “Combining disciplines leads to change?”
You can use these statements as examples of generalizations.
Differentiation information in your inbox.
I'll send you one or two emails a month to help you better understand and differentiate for gifted students.Get free resources now!