Hello and welcome to Byrdseed!
My name is Ian Byrd and I’m a former gifted student, a former teacher of the gifted, a former conference presenter, and a relatively recent dad.
Get the Ideas in Your Inbox
If you’re new to Byrdseed or gifted education, the best way to get caught up is to sign up for the free mailer. I’ll send you an article once every couple of weeks.
I’d also recommend browsing these categories first:
- Where to Start With Differentiating? – A few basic ideas that can be easy to overlook when you’re being asked to do a million things.
- Rethinking – Things I’ve changed my mind about and common ideas that I don’t think I agree with anymore.
- Intro to Depth and Complexity – The framework that I used as a beginning teacher to help me push my students’ thinking.
Principles and Techniques
Finally, I’ve organized many of the articles here as either:
- Principles of Differentiation – Big big ideas to get you in the right mindset when teaching advanced students.
- Techniques of Differentiation – About a dozen more specific ways to start actually differentiating your lessons.
- Examples of Differentiation – Several hundred specific examples of those techniques in action.
Finally, my life’s work is Byrdseed.TV. Hundreds of lessons already written for you and turned into videos that you can just use with your students. One teacher told me it was “like having a second teacher in the class.” Check it out!